South Africa, August 12 2012, 34 miners shot dead in “self defence” by security forces:
South African president Jacob Zuma has announced an official probe into the deaths, which he said were shocking and unacceptable.
“The militant group stormed toward the police, firing shots and wielding dangerous weapons,” Riah Phiyega told a news conference on Friday.
“Police retreated systematically and were forced to utilise maximum force to defend themselves. The total death (toll) of the protesters currently stands at 34, with more than 78 injured.”
So far 259 people have been arrested on various charges stemming from the clash on Thursday at the platinum mine run by London-listed Lonmin, she said.