The bloggers over at News Limited have all perfected a similar style, so much so that it is becoming almost impossible to distingush “who” is actually writing individual posts.
Remove the masthead indicating which commentator (Tim Blair, Miranda Devine, Andrew Bolt et.al) and you’ll see that they adopt an almost uniform style.
Note the formula:
- Short introductory paragraph framing the blog entries content
- Substantive text quote from source that agrees with you (often other News Limited journalists or climate sceptic blogs)
- Make pithy and sarcastic comment at end of post
- Let forum wars begin!
Mostly this is designed to feed the forum trolls that haunt News Limited blogs, letting them have free ranch to indulge in their hatred for… well pretty much everything.
The topics explored are almost identical:
- Asylum seekers (bad in case you missed their oh so subtle arguments)
- Global warming is a hoax
- The Greens are evil incarnate
- The stupidity of “Da Left”
- Labor and Gillard are both evil and incompetent. Or is that incompetently evil?
No really… pay close attention.
I get that in a web environment consistency is required, and that the bloggers are using the same platform. But what strikes me as interesting is the uniformity of the content and manner in which posts are crafted.
Does News Limited have a “Blogging Bot” that simply spits out the same drivel day after day on its blog? Would automated software be cheaper than hiring a stable of conservative journalists willing to distort science?
There’s my conspiracy theory for you! [wink]
In all seriousness – News Limited bloggers frame information and arguments in an identical manner.
They speak with one voice.