As mentioned below, the Watts “Down Under Tour 2010″ is just about to kick off.
However I don’t think we can let Mr. Watts go unchallenged?
If you’re in Western Australia I’d suggest you attend the following public talk:
“Public Forum: Climate Change and Skepticism”
Views about climate change from real scientists with real answers: Lecture presentations and “open mic” discussion with expert panel
28 June 2010, University of Western Australia
(Social Sciences Lecture Theatre, 6.00-7.30pm)
Are you concerned about climate change? Are you concerned by the current debate that seems to call into question climate science? Are there reasons to doubt what scientists are predicting?
This 90-minute event will present 4 brief talks by UWA scientists who are experts in various aspects of climate change, followed by an opportunity to ask questions of the speakers and discuss the issues with a panel of experts.
Speakers (10-15 minutes each)
- Consensus in science: what does it mean? The perils of ignoring consensus – Prof Stephan Lewandowsky (School of Psychology, UWA)
- Time for accountability: Denialist fallacies and “skeptical” junk science – Prof Kevin Judd (School of Mathematics and Statistics, UWA)
- The scientific consensus: Data from a warming planet – Prof Malcolm McCulloch, FRS (School of Earth Sciences, UWA)
- The way forward: Towards economic growth in a clean-energy future – Dr Volker Oschmann (School of Law, UWA, and German Federal Ministry for the Environment)
Panel members (30-45 minutes discussion period)
- Mr John Cook (www.skepticalscience.com)
- Dr Ivan Haigh (School of Environmental Systems Engineering, UWA)
- Ms Nicole Hodgson (School of Sustainability, Murdoch University)
- Prof Kevin Judd (School of Mathematics and Statistics, UWA)
- Prof Stephan Lewandowsky (School of Psychology, UWA)
- Prof Malcolm McCulloch, FRS (School of Earth Sciences, UWA)
- Dr Volker Oschmann (School of Law, UWA, and German Federal Ministry for the Environment)
Being from Melbourne I’ll be missing out. However, I will accept “funding” from the vast socialist/green/IPCC conspiracy to pay for my flights and accommodation.
BTW – if anyone else hears of an event, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll publish it on the blog.